Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 3 VR6 Engine Tear Down - Porting the Intake

So while the long block is at the shop being evaluated I thought I would take the opportunity to make the engine more efficient.  I thought I would port both upper and lower intake manifolds and later the head when I get it back.  Not looking to do anything crazy just a simple gasket match and clean out, since the engine is like a big air pump.

Here are the tools I used.  I started with the red sanding stone yesterday.  After that quickly clogged up I did a little research and found I would need a carbide burr.  Took a trip to Northern Tool on the way home from work today and picked up two bits.
Photobucket

Here you can see the difference

Photobucket

Close up

Photobucket

Photobucket

The complete intake side of the lower manifold.  I still have to clean out the runners, but the matching part is done.

Photobucket

I ran out of time tonight but scribed out the edge of the gasket on the head side of the lower intake manifold.  I have a LOT of material to remove on this side tomorrow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment