Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 6 VR6 Engine Tear Down - Block

Been a couple weeks since last update on the car.  The head is still at the machine shop.  It wasn't as bad as I'm sure it could have been, but I guess it could always be worse than it is... The head will need two new intake and two new exhaust valves as well as new exhaust guides, and all seals.  From talking with the owner every head that leaves his shop gets a three angle valve job standard so that's good.

Last week Vinny and I prepped the block for painting.  Both boys came with me for a trip to Napa and Lukey picked out the paint.  Good thing he chose black because that's what we were getting anyway.  
Block prepped for paint 1

Block prepped for paint 2

Block prepped for paint 3

Block prepped for paint 4

Block prepped for paint 7

Block prepped for paint 6

Painting engine block 1

Painting engine block 2

Painting engine block 3


Yesterday I discovered some disturbing things...  I had to reposition the block on the engine stand so it could be rotated.  I removed the already dented oil pan to find the oil pick up bashed in pretty good and a hard piece of something plastic at the screen of the pickup... Not good. 

Dented oil pan 2

Dented oil pan 1

Damaged oil pickup 2

Damaged oil pickup 1


When I was rotating the engine on the stand I heard something rattle around in there; I found this piece of broken valve retainer... Also not good.  

Broken valve retainer 2

Broken valve retainer 1


I had a spare oil pick up so I removed the old one only to find more damage; one of the legs used to bolt the pickup to the block was broken all the way trough... the hits just keep on coming.  But these things won't cost me any money in parts since I had spares.

Oil pick up

The spare oil pick
spare oil pickup

Still working on polishing the intake manifold

No comments:

Post a Comment